On TV - "Spelling Bees" (Spelling Competition" - people portrayed as brainy
Chris
2005-09-05 17:30:07 UTC
I live in England and on Neighbours (Australian TV programme) there is
a girl who in considered really brainy because she can spell long words

HAHAHAHAHAHA MAKES ME JUST THINK - WHAT A GEEK - WHAT A LOSER!!

I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR REGULAR PEOPLE.

Look at Richard Branson - business genious, entrapaneour, millioniare -
he can't spell!

I (like many dyslexics) happen to be very good at computing (good at
interpreting non-language based information.

I did really badly at school - predicted to fail bigtime. I got a few
hours tuition where my teacher explained stuff using pictures and I did
really well - high 90% (which annoyed a lot of people at my grammar
school)

At uni, (before I knew I had dyslexia) I did really bad in a written
essay. I had a viva (oral exam) where I was interviewed by the Head of
the Faculty of Medicine from one Uni together with the the Head of Vet
Science at another uni, and they said my viva was outstanding (I was
able to talk about the transmission of nerve impulses verbally -
PERFECTLY - yet was unable to write an essay on it ... cos my brain
goes too fast and I don't have time to write it all down). infact when
I write... it slows me down totally

Sorry for this RANT

But there are so many intelligent dyslexics out there (like Albert
Einstein was)

So many people are suffering from low self esteem from school.

I absolutely LOVE being dyslexic. I had hell at school.. but I'm so
glad. I'd hate to be an normal boring stupid person.
Roger Merriman
2005-09-05 19:59:24 UTC
Post by Chris
I live in England and on Neighbours (Australian TV programme) there is
a girl who in considered really brainy because she can spell long words
HAHAHAHAHAHA MAKES ME JUST THINK - WHAT A GEEK - WHAT A LOSER!!
I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR REGULAR PEOPLE.
this is only neighours, which is hardly high brow.

but any way, lituracy skills which incude spelling are a skills just
like any other you might price your skills in visual skills but people
with good langauage skills rightly price there skills.
Post by Chris
Look at Richard Branson - business genious, entrapaneour, millioniare -
he can't spell!
he is more the exeption than the rule, while many dyslexics find ways to
chanel their strengths others do not.

a story that crops up time and time again is the shocking number of
dyslexics in the prison service.
Post by Chris
[...]
lots of people carry massive mental scars from school, not just
dyslexics, though self esteem is real problem with dyslexica, how many
times can you try and fail something before you give up....and become
despondant.
Post by Chris
I absolutely LOVE being dyslexic. I had hell at school.. but I'm so
glad. I'd hate to be an normal boring stupid person.
i glad you like the uneakness of dyslexica, but it comes at a high
price.

Roger